- Copyediting/ Developmental Editing
- Illustration/ Graphic Design
- Writing and Web Content
- Teaching and Presentations
I offer a variety of services related to books and writing: developmental editing, copyediting, illustration, graphic design—even workshops. I consult on all kinds of creative projects: fiction, nonfiction, college essays, web content, articles, interviews, and more. For inquiries, contact me at firebrandpress [at] gmail [dot] com. For details, read on.
Writing and Web Content
Do you need to create content for your business or personal website? Do you need a killer bio? A description of your business? Let me take your story and whittle it down to what’s most important and what best expresses who you are and what you do. I charge $50 per hour for this service and offer a free consultation and quote via phone, videochat, or email.
Testimonial: “For my first professional editing experience, I was more than pleased with the services Lauren provided. I received thoughtful and clear edits for my work in a very timely manner. Lauren’s feedback was positive, honest and constructive. The experience was everything I expected and then some! I can’t imagine trusting anyone else to edit my work.” – Shanee S.
Developmental Editing and Copyediting
Need some help with a novel or other creative piece? I offer two options based on where you are in your revision process. Developmental editing looks at your manuscript in terms of plot development, characterization, story arc, pacing, action, dialogue, and overall craft. If you’re not quite ready for the proofreading stage, you may be in this stage. This service lets me examine your manuscript as a whole and suggest where you need to spend the most time in revision. Developmental editing is NOT copyediting— rather, it takes a global approach to revising your manuscript. I charge 4 cents per word for developmental editing. Clients who opt for this service will receive:
- a manuscript review with comments made in MS Word. This includes comments on readability, structure, dialogue, voice, and more.
- a written report (1—2 pages) that outlines strengths and weaknesses of the book, plus ideas for developing and improving plot, character, scene, dialogue, pacing, and other fundamental aspects of story.
- an optional one-hour meeting via phone or videochat to discuss a revision plan for the reduced rate of $35 per hour.
If you’re at the stage where you need line editing and proofreading, then my copyediting service is for you. Copyediting includes line-editing of your manuscript for readability (i.e. “flow”), consistency of tone and voice, and grammatical errors and typos. Clients who choose this service receive a manuscript edited via tracked changes in MS Word, plus general comments in reference to the edits listed above. For this service, I charge 2 cents per word. I encourage you to visit the Editorial Freelancers Association website to compare my rates and get more info about freelance editing services.
- Testimonial: “Lauren is an excellent editor of fiction. She is the first person I turn to when I have a new manuscript ready to submit to an editor or agent. She’s helped me successfully usher two novels to traditional publication with her insightful comments about big-picture things like character motivation and narrative consistency. But she also catches smaller details such as when I’ve gotten a character’s age wrong over time, or changed the color of a character’s kitchen from the beginning of a book to the end—she remembers those details and helps me keep them straight. I highly recommend her as a freelance editor, whether you are seeking to publish traditionally or independently.” —Katie Rose Guest Pryal, author of the Hollywood Lights Series
For both of these services, I am happy to offer a free quote based on word count and a brief sample of your writing. I am also happy to offer the above services based on a portion of your manuscript. Email me the first chapter and let’s get started.
College Essays and Cover Letters
Need help with your essay for a college application? Writing a cover letter for an internship or job application? I provide both developmental editing and copyediting for these and am happy to give you a free quote based on the length of your essay. For this service I charge $60 per hour.
- Testimonial: “Hate to toot your own horn, or do you find that you can, but writing about yourself is painful? Lauren is my go-to gal for helping get from a few unorganized sentences to a finished well-worded work. In the last few years, she has helped me to edit writing for entry into an artist studio space, my ‘about me’ page for print and web, and a variety of other projects. I completely recommend her services and will continue to use her for future projects.” –Sonja R.
Illustration and Design for Print and Web Use
- Book Covers: I design custom book covers with proper commercial licenses for any artwork used. Once I design your image, you are free to use it in digital or print form in any way you may need it for promotional purposes. Book cover designs start at $600. My packages include eBook, ARC, and high-resolution print-ready covers.
- Greeting cards, invitations, and announcements: I design invitations for weddings, showers, and other special events. For this service, I charge $45 an hour.
- Promotional material and advertisements: I design posters, postcards, business cards, promotional graphics, advertisements, and other pieces that showcase and promote your work in print or digital form. I charge $45 per hour for design and send you all digital files so you can send them to the printer of your choice. Once I deliver designs, you are free to use them in an unlimited capacity in both print and on the web.
- Web Design: My rate for web design, using the template and platform of your choice (WordPress, SquareSpace, etc) starts at $60 per hour.
Teaching & Presentations
- I teach workshops in letterpress printing, book arts, printmaking, and creative writing. Most recently, I’ve taught at Asheville BookWorks, the Robert C. Williams Museum of Papermaking, and the Penland School of Crafts. No matter what kind of studio space you have, I have a class that will work for you. Classes range from one day to multiple weeks.
- My presentations cover a variety of topics in creative writing, letterpress printing, and book arts, and are tailored to your needs. I’ve visited museums, schools, libraries, and book festivals—I’m happy to visit you and discuss books and writing, or do a mini-workshop!
Testimonial: “Lauren led a wonderful tunnel book workshop at the museum. On the day of the workshop, she was ready to go, excited and a wonderful instructor. We had novices to experienced participants in the class, and Lauren skillfully balanced the needs of this diverse audience, giving each student personal attention as needed. Her step-by-step instructions were well thought out, and class time was spent on the skills the students needed for the project. We are looking forward to future workshops with Lauren!” —Virginia H.
I’m dedicated to keeping the arts alive in schools and communities. I’m happy to design a class for any facility that will meet your needs and goals for students and attendees.
Past workshops have centered on writing short stories, creating one of a kind artist books, making tunnel books, doing basic bookbinding, woodcut printing, letterpress printing, and more.
Contact me via email to discuss how you can bring writing and art into your classroom!